Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Despite the passing of Thanksgiving a few weeks ago, it hadn’t much felt like Christmas around here until recently. Normally in the States we see Christmas decorations taking over malls, stores and people’s yards as early as Halloween. And starting Thanksgiving weekend, I would start planning my own holiday festivities – at least in my head. This year, however, I had not realized that it is Christmastime – my absolute favorite time of year – because we will be away from our home. Therefore, I have not been planning to decorate my apartment, bake Christmas cookies, or even go Christmas shopping at the malls here.

So it is with a mixture of pleasure and sadness that I have come to realize that despite my own self absorption, the rest of the world has begun to prepare for Christmas. I mention that this makes me a bit sad only because I am not preparing for the holiday in the way I am so used to, by obsessing over personalized Christmas cards (we will return to the States too late to be able to mail them), putting up my fresh pine tree (it would die in the heat while we are away anyway) and sipping hot chocolate to warm my insides while my outside freezes its butt off (here I typically settle for an iced cappuccino because most days are too warm for hot chocolate).

Suddenly, though, I am starting to get really excited about the holiday. Everywhere you look Christmas is in the air – the lobby of our apartment has been decorated with poinsettias, there are beautifully decorated Christmas trees in all the shop windows, and even at my gym, and Christmas lights in trees and lamp posts have livened the streets here in Polanco.

Despite not decorating the house, we started getting into the Christmas spirit by taking Asha to the mall to see the trees and have her picture taken with Santa. After several attempts to get her to sit on Santa’s lap, we had to resort to bribing her with her a lollipop – smiles not guaranteed. (Maybe we'll post that photo next time). A few days later, we went to a Christmas cookie decorating party at my friend Tracey’s house, where Asha had tons of fun eating the sprinkles, jimmies and other decorations straight from the box and off anyone’s cookies she could get her hands on. Next week, we may even go ice skating at the Zocalo.

Still, there is something weird about listening to “Let it Snow,” “Winter Wonderland” and “Sleigh Ride” in 70 degree weather.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought she wasn't allowed to eat lollipops. Weren't you saying that the doctor once gave her a lollipop and you told her that it wasn't for eating? And she believed you! What happened?

Tan said...

Hi, I posted anonimous last time sorry!! I recommend you to go to a traditional christmas party "Posada" someone around you organizes one for sure!! and don't forget to try the ponche, it's a fruit hot drink...delicious!! and please tell me how did you do to get in the skating rink if you decide to go to the zocalo, because I'm sure it would be almost imposible ;)

Rupal said...

Arch - She started going to school and birthday parties, that's what happened. Now she knows exactly what a lollipop is!

Tan - I will look into the Posada for sure. I don't think we will make it to the zocalo b/c my husband I are both sick but friends of mine have gone and said if you go on a weekday, late in the morning, you can get in - before the kids get out of school.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog! Your little girl has grown so much!
Have a good holiday!
Ruth Leeper (Lucy Franks's Nana)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rupal, Sonny! Just started reading your blog and it's great! Love the pics of Asha - she's adorable!

Purvs said...

Hey Rupal,
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family !!!